Nematicons in twisted liquid crystals
AbstractIn this work we demonstrate the properties of spatial solitary waves (nematicons) in a twisted nematic liquid crystalline film. Such self-trapped beams were created due to optical reorientation nonlinearity for a light power of a few tenths of milliwats at the distances of a few millimeters. Additionally, it was demonstrated that a weak signal beam can be guided in a channel formed by a nematicon.
Full Text: PDF
- F. Simoni, "Nonlinear Optical Properties of Liquid Crystals", World Scientific Publ.: London (1997)
- M. A. Karpierz, "Soliton Driven Photonics", eds. A. D. Boardman and A. P. Sukhorukov (Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht 2001), p. 41. [CrossRef]
- G. Assanto, M. Peccianti, C. Conti,"Nematicons: Optical Spatial Solitons in Nematic Liquid Crystals", Opt. Photon. News 14, 44 (2003) [CrossRef]
- M. A. Karpierz, M. Sierakowski, M. Świłło, T. R. Woliński, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 320, 157 (1998) [CrossRef]
- M. A. Karpierz,"Solitary waves in liquid crystalline waveguides", Phys. Rev. E 66, 036603 (2002) [CrossRef]
- M. Peccianti, A. De Rossi, G. Assanto, A. De Luca, C. Umeton, I. C. Khoo, "Electrically assisted self-confinement and waveguiding in planar nematic liquid crystal cells", Appl. Phys. Lett. 77, 7 (2000) [CrossRef]
- M. Peccianti, G. Assanto,"Signal readdressing by steering of spatial solitons in bulk nematic liquid crystals", Opt. Lett. 26, 1690 (2001) [CrossRef]
- M. Peccianti, G. Assanto, "Nematic liquid crystals: A suitable medium for self-confinement of coherent and incoherent light", Phys. Rev. E 65, 035603 (2002) [CrossRef]
- M. A. Karpierz, K. A. Brzdąkiewicz, Q. V. Nguyen, Acta Phys. Polonica A, 103, 169 (2003)
- K. Jaworowicz, K. A. Brzdakiewicz, M. A. Karpierz, M. Sierakowski, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 453, 301 (2006) [CrossRef]
- M. A. Karpierz, Acta Phys. Polonica A, 99, 161, (2001)
How to Cite
U. A. Laudyn, M. Kwaśny, K. Jaworowicz, K. A. Rutkowska, M. A. Karpierz, and G. Assanto, “Nematicons in twisted liquid crystals”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. pp. 7–9, Mar. 2009.