Control of nonlinear collapse in magnetooptical Kerr media
AbstractWe demonstrate a novel approach to the control of the collapse of optical beams in Kerr media. To this end, we consider a combination of two magnetooptical (MO) phenomena, the Cotton-Mouton and Faraday effects, in order to introduce a suitable and tunable interplay between the induced linear and circular birefringences. Our numerical analysis confirms that a properly applied external magnetic field may alter the dynamics of the beam propagation in magnetic self-focusing bulk Kerr media. For a chosen value of the optical power, the acceleration, the delay or even the arrest of the collapse can be achieved. We demonstrate experimentally the magnetically-induced acceleration of the collapse in a ferrimagnetic yttrium iron garnet crystal (YIG).
Full Text: PDF
- R.W. Boyd, Nonlinear optics (San Diego, Academic Press 2008). C. Sulem, P.L. Sulem, The nonlinear Schrodinger equation: self-focusing and wave collapse (New York, Springer 1999).
- L. Berge, "Wave collapse in physics: principles and applications to light and plasma waves", Phys. Rep. 303, 259 (1998).[CrossRef]
- Y.S. Kivshar, D.E. Pelinovsky, "Self-focusing and transverse instabilities of solitary waves", Phys. Rep. 331, 117 (2000).[CrossRef]
- B.A. Malomed, D. Mihalache, F. Wise, and L. Torner, "Spatiotemporal optical solitons", J. Optics B: Quant. Semicl. Opt. 7, R53 (2005).[CrossRef]
- M. Peccianti, K.A. Brzdakiewicz, G. Assanto, "Nonlocal spatial soliton interactions in nematic liquid crystals", Opt. Lett. 27, 1460 (2002);[CrossRef]
- O. Bang, W. Krolikowski, J. Wyller, J.J. Rasmussen, "Collapse arrest and soliton stabilization in nonlocal nonlinear media", Phys. Rev. E 66, 046619 (2002).[CrossRef]
- R. Kurzynowski, W.A. Woźniak, "Superposition rule for the magneto-optic effects in isotropic media", Optik 115, 473 (2004).[CrossRef]
- A.K. Zvezdin, V.A. Kotov, Modern Magnetooptics and Magneto-optical Materials (New York, Taylor and Francis 1997).
- Y. Linzon, K.A. Rutkowska, B.A. Malomed, R. Morandotti, "Magneto-optical Control of Light Collapse in Bulk Kerr Media", Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 053902 (2009).[CrossRef]
- B.A. Malomed, in Progress in Optics 43, 71 (E. Wolf, North Holland, Amsterdam, 2002).
- R.Y. Chiao, E. Garmire, C.H. Townes, "Self-Trapping of Optical Beams", Phys. Rev. Lett. 13, 479 (1964).[CrossRef]
How to Cite
K. A. Rutkowska, Y. Linzon, B. A. Malomed, and R. Morandotti, “Control of nonlinear collapse in magnetooptical Kerr media”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. pp. 166–168, Dec. 2009.