Injection-Seeded Actively Mode-locked Erbium-Doped Fiber Ring Laser for Frequency Measurement in Telecommunication Band
AbstractIn this paper the mode-locking of an erbium-doped fiber ring laser with frequency shifted feedback is described. We use the configuration with an acousto-optical modulator inserted in the laser cavity that produces 1.7 ps pulses with a 40 MHz repetition frequency. The corresponding optical frequency comb has a bandwidth of more than 10 nm, centered at 1558 nm. The laser operates with external injection from a DFB telecommunication laser diode which can be used for controlling the offset frequency of an optical comb. To our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of external injection of a mode-locked fiber laser using a telecommunication laser diode.
Full Text: PDF
- J. Ye, S.T. Cundiff, "Femtosecond Optical Frequency Comb: Principle, Operation, and Applications", 2005 Springer Science + Business Media, Inc. Boston.
- H. Sabert, E. Brinkmeyer, "Pulse Generation in Fiber Lasers with Frequency Shifted Feedback", J. Lightwave Technol., vol. 12, pp. 1360 1368, 1994.
- S.U. Alam, A.B. Grudinin, "Tunable picosecond frequency-shifted feedback fiber laser at 1550 nm", IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., vol. 16, pp. 2012-2014, 2004. [CrossRef]
- Michal P. Nikodem, Ewelina Kluzniak, and Krzysztof Abramski, "Wavelength tunability and pulse duration control in frequency shifted feedback Er-doped fiber lasers", Opt. Express 17, 3299-3304 (2009). [CrossRef]
- A.M. Heidt, J.P. Burger, J.-N. Maran, and N. Traynor, "High power and high energy ultrashort pulse generation with a frequency shifted feedback fiber laser", Opt. Express 15, 15892-15897 (2007). [CrossRef]
- H.Y. Ryu, H.S. Moon, H.S. Suh, "Optical frequency comb generator based on actively mode-locked fiber ring laser using an acousto-optic modulator with injection-seeding", Opt. Express 15, pp. 11396-11401, 2007. [CrossRef]
- S. Bennett, B. Cai, E. Burr, O. Gough, A.J. Seeds, "1.8-THz Bandwidth, Zero-Frequency Error, Tunable Optical Comb Generatorr for DWDM Applications", IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., vol. 11, pp. 551-553, 1999. [CrossRef]
- P.D. Dragic, "Injection-Seeded Q-Switched Fiber Ring Laser", IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., vol. 16, pp. 1822-1824, 2004. [CrossRef]
How to Cite
M. P. Nikodem and K. M. Abramski, “Injection-Seeded Actively Mode-locked Erbium-Doped Fiber Ring Laser for Frequency Measurement in Telecommunication Band”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. pp. 19–21, Mar. 2009.