Fiber optic microsphere with ZnO thin film for potential application in refractive index sensor – theoretical study
AbstractOptical fiber sensors of refractive index play important role in analysis of biological and chemical samples. This work presents a theoretical investigation of a spectral response of fiber optic microsphere with zinc-oxide (ZnO) thin film deposited on the surface and evaluates the prospect of using such structure for refractive index sensing. Microsphere is fabricated by optical fiber tapering method on the base of a single mode fiber. A numerical model is described and simulation was conducted to assess the influence of the ZnO layer deposition on a reflected signal. The results indicate that ZnO film improves the performance in terms of a potential application in refractive index sensor.
Full Text: PDF
- Y. Qian, Y. Zhao, Q. Wu, Y. Yang, Review of salinity measurement technology based on optical fiber sensor, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 260, 86–105 (2018). CrossRef
- M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, Response of a New Low-Coherence Fabry-Pérot Sensor to Hematocrit Levels in Human Blood, Sensors, 14, 4, 6965–6976, (2014). CrossRef
- F. Sequeira et al., Refractive Index Sensing with D-Shaped Plastic Optical Fibers for Chemical and Biochemical Applications, Sensors, 16, 12, 2119, (2016). CrossRef
- M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska et al., ALD thin ZnO layer as an active medium in a fiber-optic Fabry–Pérot interferometer, Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, 221, 88–94, (2015). CrossRef
- M. Hirsch, D. Majchrowicz, P. Wierzba, M. Weber, M. Bechelany, M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, Low-Coherence Interferometric Fiber-Optic Sensors with Potential Applications as Biosensors, Sensors, 17, 2, 261, (2017). CrossRef
- M. Hirsch, P. Wierzba, M. Jędrzejewska-Szczerska, Application of thin dielectric films in low coherence fiber-optic Fabry-Pérot sensing interferometers: comparative study, Proc. SPIE 10161, 101610D (2016). CrossRef
- J. Pluciński, K. Karpienko, Fiber optic Fabry-Pérot sensors: modeling versus measurements results, Proc. SPIE 10034, 100340H (2016). CrossRef
- F. Goldsmith, Quasioptical systems: Gaussian beam quasioptical propagation and applications. (Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press 1998). CrossRef
How to Cite
M. Hirsch, “Fiber optic microsphere with ZnO thin film for potential application in refractive index sensor – theoretical study”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 85–87, Oct. 2018.