A V-Shape Optical Pin Interface for Board Level Optical Interconnect
AbstractThis paper introduces a new interface of an optical pin for Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs), the V-shape cut type which is an innovation from the 90-degree cut type optical pin. The effectiveness is determined by optical characteristics through OptiCAD and by experiment. The simulation used a model of ray tracing analysis which is a one to two (split) connection function model. For the experiment, a Polymer Optical Fibre (POF) V-shape optical pin has been fabricated. It was found that the V-shaped optical pin has a multi-branched function and is applicable to optical interconnection.
Full Text: PDF
- Mikami, O., et al. Optical pin interface for 90-deg optical path conversion coupling to Printed Wiring Board. in Region 10 Conference (TENCON), 2016 IEEE. 2016. IEEE. CrossRef
- DeCusatis, C., Data center architectures, in Optical Interconnects for Data Centers. 2017, Elsevier. p. 3-41. CrossRef
- Duranton, M., D. Dutoit, and S. Menezo, Key requirements for optical interconnects within data centers, in Optical Interconnects for Data Centers. 2017, Elsevier. p. 75-94. CrossRef
- ITOH, Y., et al., Optical Coupling Characteristics of Optical Pin with 45° Micro Mirror for Optical Surface Mount Technology. Journal of The Japan Institute of Electronics Packaging, 2001. 4(6): p. 497-503. CrossRef
- Uchida, T. and O. Mikami, Optical surface mount technology. IEICE Transactions on Electronics, 1997. 80(1): p. 81-87. CrossRef
- Papakonstantinou, I., et al., Low-cost, precision, self-alignment technique for coupling laser and photodiode arrays to polymer waveguide arrays on multilayer PCBs. IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, 2008. 31(3): p. 502-511. CrossRef
- Nakama, K., et al., Optical connection device. 2006, Google Patents. DirectLink
- Ramaswami, R., K. Sivarajan, and G. Sasaki, Optical networks: a practical perspective. 2009: Morgan Kaufmann. DirectLink
- Tong, X.C., Advanced materials for integrated optical waveguides. 2014: Springer. CrossRef
How to Cite
N. N. H. Saris, O. Mikami, A. Hamzah, S. Ambran, and C. Fujikawa, “A V-Shape Optical Pin Interface for Board Level Optical Interconnect”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 20–22, Mar. 2018.