Stochastic pulse density modulation for a power LED driver
AbstractPWM signals are widely used and are easy to implement in a variety of LEDs applications, however they suffer from significant harmonic generation. As an alternative, SPDM - Stochastic Pulse Density Modulation or SSDM – Stochastic Signal Density Modulation ideas may be considered. The SPDM idea is to spread the energy at different frequencies so that it is easier to filter the desired harmonics, because of their lower amplitudes. Example of implementation of SPDM in LED application using a programmable system-on-chip device is presented in the paper. Proper operation of the proposed implementation is proved by the laboratory results.
Full Text: PDF
- W. Wojtkowski, A. Karpiuk, The Influence of the PWM frequency and duty cycle of a RGB LED driver on the optical spectrum of the emitted light, Przeglad Elektrotechniczny, 2012, R. 88, nr 4a, pp. 217-219. CrossRef
- J. Hegedüs, G. Hantos, A. Poppe, Light output stabilisation of LED based streetlighting luminaires by adaptive current control, Microelectronics Reliability, vol. 79, pp. 448-456, 2017. CrossRef
- J. Kusznier, W. Wojtkowski, Spectral properties of smart LED lamps, PHOTONICS LETTERS OF POLAND, VOL. 12 (1), 16-18 (2020) CrossRef
- I. Fryc, P. Tabaka, "Zanieczyszczenia nocnego nieboskłonu światłem emitowanym przez oprawy oświetlenia zewnętrznego", Przeglad Elektrotechniczny R93(6), 46 (2017). DirectLink
- I. Fryc, F. Bisegna, P. Tabaka, Lighting of recreation grounds as a source of sky glow - the influence of luminaire type on this phenomenon, 1st IEEE International Conference On Environment And Electrical Engineering and 17th IEEE Industrial And Commercial Power Systems Europe (2017). CrossRef
- M. Gilewski, "The ecological hazard of artificial lighting in greenhouses", Photon. Lett. Poland 11(3), 87 (2019). CrossRef
- J. Kusznier, W. Wojtkowski, Impact of climatic conditions on PV panels operation in a photovoltaic power plant, IEEE, 2019 15th Selected Issues of Electrical Engineering and Electronics (WZEE), Zakopane, Poland (2019). CrossRef
- J. Kusznier, W. Wojtkowski, Impact of climatic conditions and solar exposure on the aging of PV panels, IEEE, 2019 15th Selected Issues of Electrical Engineering and Electronics (WZEE), Zakopane, Poland (2019). CrossRef
- PSoC® Technical Reference Manual - Document No. 001-14463 Rev. *K. Cypress Semiconductor Corp. 2017. DirectLink
How to Cite
W. Wojtkowski and R. Kociszewski, “Stochastic pulse density modulation for a power LED driver”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 64–66, Jul. 2020.