Understanding the birefringence effects in an all-fiber device based on photonic crystal fibers with integrated electrodes
AbstractIn this work, we study a special kind of photonic crystal fibers with two integrated electrodes. The device operation is based on induced birefringence caused by mechanical stress when electrical current heats the internal electrodes. Due to the complex structure of the fiber, a finite element model was carried out to determine the strain distributions generated at the center region of the fiber core, and hence taking the induced change in the refractive index as a change in the effective refractive index due to the transferred heat. Here, we explain the interesting result that fiber birefringence axes rotated asymptotically with temperature. The analysis shows that this rotation of the birefringence axes is the cause of a nonlinear variation of the effective refractive index of the fundamental mode.
Full text: PDF
- P.St.J. Russell, "Photonic-Crystal Fibers", J. Lightwave Technol. 24, 4729 (2006). [CrossRef]
- B.J. Eggleton, C. Kerbage, P.S. Westbrook, R.S. Windeler, A. Hale, "Microstructured optical fiber devices", Opt. Exp. 9, 698 (2001), [CrossRef]
- T.T. Larsen, A. Bjarklev, D.S. Hermann, J. Broeng, "Optical devices based on liquid crystal photonic bandgap fibres", Opt. Exp. 11, 2589 (2003), [CrossRef]
- F. Du, Y.-Q. Lu, and S.-T. Wu, "Electrically tunable liquid-crystal photonic crystal fiber", Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 2181 (2004). [CrossRef]
- G. Chesini et al., "All-fiber devices based on photonic crystal fibers with integrated electrodes", Opt. Exp. 17, 1660 (2009), [CrossRef]
- E. Reyes-Vera et al. in Latin America Optics and Photonics Conference (LAOP) (Washington, Optical Society of America 2010), ThF2.
- S.P. Timoshenko, J.N. Goodier, Theory of Elasticity, 3rd ed. (New York, McGraw-Hill 1970).
- J.F. Botero-Cadavid, J.D. Causado-Buelvas, P. Torres, "Spectral Properties of Locally Pressed Fiber Bragg Gratings Written in Polarization Maintaining Fibers", J. Lightwave Technol. 28, 1291 (2010). [CrossRef]
- Z. Yu, O. Tarasenko, W. Margulis, and P. -Y. Fonjallaz, "Birefringence switching of Bragg gratings in fibers with internal electrodes", Opt. Exp. 16, 8229 (2008), [CrossRef]
- S.H. Lee, B.H. Kim, W.-T. Han, "Effect of filler metals on the temperature sensitivity of side-hole fiber", Opt. Exp. 17, 9712-9717 (2009), [CrossRef]
How to Cite
E. Reyes-Vera, E. González-Valencia, and P. Torres, “Understanding the birefringence effects in an all-fiber device based on photonic crystal fibers with integrated electrodes”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 2, no. 4, pp. pp. 168–170, Dec. 2010.