Photonic crystal used to increase extraction efficiencyof ZnO light-emitting diodes
AbstractLow extraction efficiency following a low angle of total internal reflection at the output surface of simple light-emitting diodes (LEDs) considerably limits their performance and reduces their possible applications. From among various methods used to enhance extraction of radiation from LEDs manufactured from high index-of- refraction materials, an application of photonic crystals seems to be quite effective and relatively simple technologically. In the present paper, the FDTD approach is used to study the performance of a ZnO LED. As compared with a simple planar ZnO LED structure, the application of an optimized photonic crystal enables in this case an enormous increase in extraction efficiency by more than thirteen times.
Full text: PDF
- W. Z. Xu et al., "ZnO light-emitting diode grown by plasma-assisted metal organic chemical vapor deposition", Appl. Phys. Lett. 88, 173506 (2006). [CrossRef]
- J. C. Sun et al., "Realization of ultraviolet electroluminescence from ZnO homojunction with n-ZnO/p-ZnO:As/GaAs structure", Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 121128 (2007). [CrossRef]
- S. Chu et al., "Sb-doped p-ZnO/Ga-doped n-ZnO homojunction ultraviolet light emitting diodes", Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 152103 (2008). [CrossRef]
- D. R. Lide (Ed.), CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (CRC Press 2009).
- H. K. Cho et al., "Laser Liftoff GaN Thin-Film Photonic Crystal GaN-Based Light-Emitting Diodes", IEEE Photon. Techn. Lett. 20, 2096 (2008). [CrossRef]
- K. Lee, Y. Lee, J. Chang, and J. Gong, "Improvement on Optical Properties of GaN Light-Emitting Diode With Mesh-Textured Sapphire Back Delineated by Laser Scriber", IEEE Photon. Techn. Lett. 21, 477 (2009). [CrossRef]
- A. F. Oskooi et al., "Meep: A flexible free-software package for electromagnetic simulations by the FDTD method", Computer Physics Comm. 181, 687 (2010). [CrossRef]
- A. Taflowe and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method (Boston, Artech House 2005).
- D. H. Long, I.-K. Hwang, and S.-W. Ryu, "Design Optimization of Photonic Crystal Structure for Improved Light Extraction of GaN LED", IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quantum Electron. 15, 1257 (2009). [CrossRef]
- K. McGroddy et al., "Directional emission control and increased light extraction in GaN photonic crystal light emitting diodes", Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 103502 (2008). [CrossRef]
- G. M. Laws, E. C. Larkins, I. Harrison, C. Molloy, and D. Somerford, "Improved refractive index formulas for the AlxGa1-xN and InyGa1-yN alloys", J. Appl. Phys. 89, 1108 (2001). [CrossRef]
- S. Fan, P. R. Villeneuve, J. D. Joannopoulos, and E. F. Schubert, "High Extraction Efficiency of Spontaneous Emission from Slabs of Photonic Crystals", Phys. Rev. Lett. 36, 3294 (1997). [CrossRef]
- S. Fan, P. R. Villeneuve, and J. D. Joannopoulos, "Rate-equation analysis of output efficiency and modulation rate of photonic-crystal light-emitting diodes", IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 36, 1123 (2000). [CrossRef]
- H. Ichikawa and T. Baba, "Efficiency enhancement in a light-emitting diode with a two-dimensional surface grating photonic crystal", Appl. Phys. Lett. 84, 457 (2004). [CrossRef]
- D. H. Long, I. K. Hwang, and S. W. Ryu, "Analysis of Disordered Photonic Crystal Implemented in Light-Emitting Diode for High Light Extraction Efficiency", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47, 4527 (2008). [CrossRef]
- I. Schnitzer, E. Yablonovitch, C. Caneau, T. J. Gmitter, and A. Scherer, "30% external quantum efficiency from surface textured, thin-film light-emitting diodes", Appl. Phys. Lett. 63, 2174 (1993). [CrossRef]
- C. Huh, K.-S. Lee, E.-J. Kang, and S.-J. Park, "Improved light-output and electrical performance of InGaN-based light-emitting diode by microroughening of the p-GaN surface", J. Appl. Phys. 93, 9383 (2003). [CrossRef]
- T. Fujii et al., "Increase in the extraction efficiency of GaN-based light-emitting diodes via surface roughening", Appl. Phys. Lett. 84, 855 (2004). [CrossRef]
- H. W. Huang et al., "Enhanced light output of an InGaN/GaN light emitting diode with a nano-roughened p-GaN surface", Nanotechnology 16, 1844 (2005). [CrossRef]
How to Cite
P. Kowalczewski, W. Nakwaski, and R. P. Sarzała, “Photonic crystal used to increase extraction efficiencyof ZnO light-emitting diodes”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 2, no. 4, pp. pp. 186–188, Dec. 2010.