Optical absorption and photoluminescence studies of Dy3+: LCZSFB glasses
AbstractLead containing calcium zinc sodium fluoroborate [LCZSFB] glasses doped with different Dy3+ ion concentrations have been prepared and characterized through optical absorption and photoluminescence studies. The three phenomenological intensity parameters W? (?=2,4 and 6) hav been determined from the absorption spectral intensities using the Judd-Ofelt (J-O) theory. The hypersensitivity of 6H15/2 ? 6F11/2 transition based on the magnitude of W2 paramete has also been discusse. By using the J-O intensity parameters several radiative properties such as spontaneous transition probabilities, radiative branching ratios and radiative lifetimes have been determined. The effect of Dy3+ ion concentration on emission intensities has also been reported and stimulated emission cross section of emission transitions is also reported.
Full text: PDF
- G. Ajith Kumar, P.R. Biju, N.V. Unnikrishnan, "Absorption and emission properties of Nd3+ in lithium cesium mixed alkali borate glasses", Phys. Chem. Glasses. 40, 219 (1999).
- P. Santa-Cruz, D. Martin, J. Dexpert-Ghys, A. Sadoc, F. Glas, F. Auzel, "New lanthanide-doped fluoride-based vitreous materials for laser applications", J. Non-Cryst. Solids. 190, 238 (1995). [CrossRef]
- P. Egger, J. Hulliger, "Optical materials for short wavelength generation", Coord. Chem. Rev. 183, 101 (1999). [CrossRef]
- R. Ciceo-Lucacel, I. Ardelean, "FT-IR and Raman study of silver lead borate-based glasses", J. Non-Cryst. Solids 353, 2020 (2007). [CrossRef]
- A. Verabdra Rao, C. Laxmikanth, B. Apparao, N. Veeraiah, "Dielectric relaxation and a.c. conduction phenomena of PbO?PbF2?B2O3 glasses doped with FeO", J. Phys. Chem. Solids. 67, 2263 (2006). [CrossRef]
- P. Abdul Azeem, S. Balaji, R.R. Reddy, "Spectroscopic properties of Dy3+ ions in NaF-B2O3-Al2O3 glasses", Spectrochem. Acta Part A 69, 183 (2008)
- B.R. Judd, "Optical Absorption Intensities of Rare-Earth Ions", Phys. Rev. 127, 750 (1962). [CrossRef]
- G.S. Ofelt, "Intensities of Crystal Spectra of Rare-Earth Ions", J. Chem. Phys. 37, 511 (1962). [CrossRef]
- J. Suresh Kumar, K. Pavani, A. Mohan Babu, Neeraj Kumar Giri, S.B. Rai, L. Rama Moorthy, "Fluorescence characteristics of Dy3+ ions in calcium fluoroborate glasses", J. Lumin. 130, 1916 (2010). [CrossRef]
- B.C. Jamalaiah, J. Suresh Kumar, T. Suhasini, Kiwan Jang, Ho Sueb Lee, Hyukjoon Choi, L. Rama Moorthy, J. Alloys Compd. 474, 382 (2009)
- C.K. Jorgensen, B.R. Judd, "Hypersensitive pseudoquadrupole transitions in lanthanides", Mol. Phys. 8, 281 (1964). [CrossRef]
- S. Tanabe, T. Ohayagi, N. Soga, T. Hanada, "Compositional dependence of Judd-Ofelt parameters of Er3+ ions in alkali-metal borate glasses", Phys. Rev. B 46, 3305 (1992). [CrossRef]
- M.B. Saisudha, J. Ramakrishna, "Effect of host glass on the optical absorption properties of Nd3+, Sm3+, and Dy3+ in lead borate glasses", Phys. Rev. B 53, 6186 (1996). [CrossRef]
- C. Gorller-Walrand, K. Binnemans, Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1998).
- C.K. Jorgensen, R. Reisfeld, "Judd-Ofelt parameters and chemical bonding", J. Less Common Met. 93, 107 (1983). [CrossRef]
- C.K. Jayasankar, E. Rukmini, "Spectroscopic investigations of Dy3+ ions in borosulphate glasses", Physica B 240, 273 (1997). [CrossRef]
- D.K. Sardar, W.M. Bradley, R.M.Yow, J.B. Gruber, B. Zandi, "Optical transitions and absorption intensities of Dy3+ (4f9) in YSGG laser host", J. Lumin. 106, 195 (2004). [CrossRef]
- P. Babu, C.K. Jayasankar, "Spectroscopic properties of Dy3+ ions in lithium borate and lithium fluoroborate glasses", Opt. Mater. 15, 65 (2000). [CrossRef]
How to Cite
Madhukar Reddy, C., R Dillip, G., Mallikarjuna, K., Sudhakar Reddy, B., Vemasevana Raju, K., & Deva Prasad Raju, B. (2011). Optical absorption and photoluminescence studies of Dy3+: LCZSFB glasses. Photonics Letters of Poland, 3(1), pp. 32–34. https://doi.org/10.4302/photon. lett. pl.v3i1.175