Ellipsometric study of carbon nitride films deposited by DC-magnetron sputtering
AbstractWe report the optical properties of a carbon nitride (CNx) film as a function of nitrogen concentration (N/C) of the deposited film. As nitrogen concentration is increased (N/C ratio) in a CNx film, the refractive index and band gap also increase. The real and imaginary parts, n and k (refractive index and extinction coefficient) of the complex refraction index of carbon nitride films were determined by spectroscopic ellipsometry (SE) in the photon energy range from 1.8eV up to 4.8eV. Both n and k reveal a significant variation with deposition conditions. A detailed ellipsometric analysis showed that the refractive index varies from 1.8 to 2.05 at different nitrogen concentrations. The optical band gap of the deposited films was situated in the range 1.34eV?1.58eV.
Full Text: PDF
- A.Y. Liu, M.L. Cohen, "Structural properties and electronic structure of low-compressibility materials: ß-Si3N4 and hypothetical ß-C3N4", Phys. Rev. B 41, 10727 (1990)[CrossRef]
- F.W. Smith, "Optical constants of a hydrogenated amorphous carbon film", J. Appl. Phys. 55 (3) 764 (1984)[CrossRef]
- A. Mansour, D. Ugolini, "Photoelectron-spectroscopy study of amorphous a-CNx:H", Phys. Rev. B 47, 10201 (1993)[CrossRef]
- J. Robertson, "Ultrathin carbon coatings for magnetic storage technology", Thin Solid Films 383, 81 (2001)[CrossRef]
- S.P. Lee, "Synthesis and Characterization of Carbon Nitride Films for Micro Humidity Sensors", Sensors 8, 1508 (2008)[CrossRef]
- A. Majumdar, K. Schröder, R. Hippler, "Cytocompatibility of amorphous hydrogenated carbon nitride films deposited by CH4/N2 dielectric barrier discharge plasmas with respect to cell lines", J. Appl. Phys. 104, 074702 (2008)[CrossRef]
- A. Majumdar, G. Das, K.R. Basvani, J. Heinicke, R. Hippler, "Role of Nitrogen in the Formation of HC-N Films by CH4/N2 Barrier Discharge Plasma: Aliphatic Tendency", J. Phys. Chem. B 113, 15734 (2009)[CrossRef]
- A. Majumdar, J. Schäfer, P. Mishra, D. Ghose, J. Meichsner, R. Hippler, "Chemical composition and bond structure of carbon-nitride films deposited by CH4/N2 dielectric barrier discharge", Surf. Coat. Technol. 201, 6437 (2007)[CrossRef]
- A. Majumdar, G. Scholz, R. Hippler, "Structural characterization of amorphous hydrogenated-carbon nitride (aH-CNx) film deposited by CH4/N2 dielectric barrier discharge plasma: 13C, 1H solid state NMR, FTIR and elemental analysis", Surf. & Coat. Technol. 203, 2013 (2009)[CrossRef]
- H.G. Tomkins, Spectroscopic ellipsometry and reflectometry (Wiley, New York 1999)
- G.E. Jellison, Jr, V.I. Merkulov, A.A. Puretzky, D.B. Geohegan, G. Eres, D.H. Lowndes, J.B. Caughman, "Characterization of thin-film amorphous semiconductors using spectroscopic ellipsometry", Thin Solid Films 377?378, 68 (2000)[CrossRef]
- K.H. Chen, J.-J. Wu, C.Y. Wen, L.C. Chen, C.W. Fan, P.F. Kuo, Y.F. Chen, Y.S. Huang., "Wide band gap silicon carbon nitride films deposited by electron cyclotron resonance plasma chemical vapor deposition", Thin Solid Films 355?356, 205 (1999)[CrossRef]
- M. Gioti, S. Logothetidis, "Dielectric function, electronic properties and optical constants of amorphous carbon and carbon nitride films", Diamond Relat. Mater. 12, 957 (2003)[CrossRef]
- E.D. Palik ed. Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids (Academic Press, New York 1985).
- J. Tauc, R. Grigorovici, A. Vancu, "Optical Properties and Electronic Structure of Amorphous Germanium", Phys. Status Solidi 15, 627 (1966)[CrossRef]
- Y. Miyajima, G. Adamopoulos, S.J. Henley, V. Stolojan, Y. Tison, E. Garcia-Caurel, B. Drévillon, J.M. Shannon, S.R.P. Silva, "Electronic state modification in laser deposited amorphous carbon films by the inclusion of nitrogen", J. Appl. Phys. 104, 063701 (2008)[CrossRef]
How to Cite
A. Majumdar, R. D. Bogdanowicz, and R. Hippler, “Ellipsometric study of carbon nitride films deposited by DC-magnetron sputtering”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. pp. 70–72, Jun. 2011.