Ab-initio calculations on static and dynamic third-order optical nonlinearity of azo-azulenes
AbstractTo provide an insight into the microscopic third-order nonlinear optical (NLO) behavior of a series of azo-azulenes; both dispersion-free (static) and also frequency-dependent (dynamic) linear polarizabilities (alpha) and second hyperpolarizabilities (gamma) at 532 nm wavelength have been theoretically investigated by means of time-dependent Hartree-Fock (TDHF) method. The maximum one-photon absorption (OPA) wavelengths recorded by quantum mechanical computations using a configuration interaction (CI) method are estimated in the visible region, supporting the pi->pi* transitions. The ab-initio calculation results with non-zero values on (hyper)polarizabilities indicate that the title compounds might possess microscopic third-order NLO phenomena.
Full Text: PDF
- D.M. Burland, R.D. Miller, C.A. Walsh, "Second-order nonlinearity in poled-polymer systems", Chem. Rev. 94, 31 (1994)[CrossRef]
- T.G. Pedersen, K. Pedersen, P. K. Kristensen, J. Rafaelsen, N. Skivesen, Z. Li, S. V. Hoffmann, "Theoretical and experimental studies of photoemission from Al quantum wells on Si(111)", Surf. Sci. 516, 127 (2002)[CrossRef]
- A. Karakaş, Z. Erdem Koç, M. Fridrichová, P. Němec, J. Kroupa, "The investigation of second-order nonlinear optical properties of p-nitrophenylazoaniline: second harmonic generation and ab initio computations", J. Theoretical and Computational Chemistry 11, 209 (2012)[CrossRef]
- D.R. Kanis, M.A. Ratner, T. Marks, "Design and construction of molecular assemblies with large second-order optical nonlinearities. Quantum chemical aspects", Chem. Rev. 94, 195 (1994)[CrossRef]
- A. Elmali, A. Karakaş, H. Ünver, "Nonlinear optical properties of bis[(p-bromophenyl-salicylaldiminato)chloro]iron(III) and its ligand N-(4-bromo)-salicylaldimine", Chem. Phys. 309, 251 (2005)[CrossRef]
- Z. Essaidi, J. Nizioł, B. Sahraoui, "Azo-azulene based compounds-nonlinear optical and photorefractive properties", Opt. Materials 33(9), 1387 (2011)[CrossRef]
- R.J. Bartlett, H. Sekino, G.D. Purvis, "Comparison of MBPT and coupled-cluster methods with full CI. Importance of triplet excitation and infinite summations", Chem. Phys. Lett. 98, 66 (1983)[CrossRef]
- I.M. Kenawi, A.H. Kamel, R.H. Hilal, "BSSE effects on the static dipole polarizability and first dipole hyperpolarizability of diclofenac sodium", J. Mol. Struct. 851, 46 (2008)[CrossRef]
- C.E. Dykstra, "Dipole (electric field) and quadrupole (field gradient) polarizabilities of hydrogen, nitrogen, and acetylene from the application of derivative Hartree–Fock theory", J. Chem. Phys. 82, 4120 (1985)[CrossRef]
- G. Maroulis, "On the accurate theoretical determination of the static hyperpolarizability of trans-butadiene", J. Chem. Phys. 111, 583 (1999)[CrossRef]
- Intel86 (win32, Linux, OS/2, DOS) version. PC GAMESS version 6.2, build number 2068; described in: M. W. Schmidt et. al., "General atomic and molecular electronic structure system", J. Comput. Chem. 14, 1347 (1993)[CrossRef]
- M.P. Bogaard, B. Orr, Ed.: A.D. Buckingham, MTP International review of science, vol. 2 (Butterworths, London 1975).
- M.J. Frisch et al., Gaussian 03, Revision E.01 (Gaussian, Inc., Wallingford CT 2004).
- Y.R. Shen, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 93, 112104 (1996).
- J. Kulakowska, S. Kucharski, "New chromophoric monomers with nonlinear optical properties", Eur. Polym. J. 36, 1805 (2000)[CrossRef]
- I.D.L. Albert, T.J. Marks, M. A. Ratner, "Large Molecular Hyperpolarizabilities in “Push-Pull” Porphyrins. Molecular Planarity and Auxiliary Donor-Acceptor Effects", Chem. Mater. 10, 753 (1998)[CrossRef]
- S. Di Bella, I. Fragala, I. Ledoux, M.A. Diaz-Garcia, P.G. Lacroix, T.J. Marks, "Sizable Second-Order Nonlinear Optical Response of Donor-Acceptor Bis(salicylaldiminato)nickel(II) Schiff Base Complexes", Chem. Mater. 6, 881 (1994)[CrossRef]
- J.L. Brédas, C. Adant, P. Tackx, A. Persoons, "Third-Order Nonlinear Optical Response in Organic Materials: Theoretical and Experimental Aspects", Chem. Rev. 94, 243 (1994)[CrossRef]
- G. Maroulis, D. Xenides, U. Hohm, A. Loose, "Dipole, dipole–quadrupole, and dipole–octopole polarizability of adamantane, C10H16, from refractive index measurements, depolarized collision-induced light scattering, conventional ab initio and density functional theory calculations", J. Chem. Phys. 115, 7957 (2001)[CrossRef]
- G. Kelly, F. Darviche, N. Robertson, T. Gelbrich, M. B. Hursthouse, D.A. Thomas, I. R. Butler, "Directly-linked intramolecular donor–acceptor compounds of ferrocene and tetracyanoanthraquinodimethane", Inorganic Chem. Com. 8 (No. 10), 874 (2005)[CrossRef]
How to Cite
A. Karakas, Y. El kouari, A. Migalska- Zalas, and B. Sahraoui, “Ab-initio calculations on static and dynamic third-order optical nonlinearity of azo-azulenes”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 4, no. 1, pp. pp. 17–19, Mar. 2012.