Rare earth doped lead-free germanate glasses for modern photonics
AbstractLead-free germanate glasses doped with rare earth ions were synthesized and next studied using excitation and luminescence spectroscopy. Rare earths were limited to Pr3+, Eu3+ and Er3+ ions. Several luminescence bands correspond to transitions originating from the 3P0 and 1D2 states of Pr3+, the 5D0 state of Eu3+, the 4S3/2, 4F9/2 and 4I13/2 states of Er3+, respectively. The relatively long lifetime for the upper 4I13/2 laser state of Er3+ suggest that lead-free germanate glasses are promising materials for near-infrared optical amplifiers.
Full Text: PDF
- M. Yamane and Y. Asahara, Glasses for photonics (Cambridge University Press 2000). CrossRef
- A. Jha et al, "Rare-earth ion doped TeO2 and GeO2 glasses as laser materials", Prog. Mater. Sci. 57, 1426 (2012). CrossRef
- J.S. Wang, E.M. Vogel, E. Snitzer, "Tellurite glass: a new candidate for fiber devices", Opt. Mater. 3, 187 (1994). CrossRef
- J. Dorosz, "Optical Fibers Technology", Ceramics 86 (2005).
- J. Dorosz, R.S. Romaniuk, "Development of Optical Fiber Technology in Poland", INTL J. Electron. Telecom. 57, 191 (2011). CrossRef
- M. Kochanowicz, W. Mazerski, J. Żmojda, K. Czajkowski, D. Dorosz, "Green upconversion emission in tellurite optical fibre codoped with Yb3+/Er3+", Phot. Lett. Poland 5, 35 (2013). CrossRef
- J. Żmojda, D. Dorosz, M. Kochanowicz, J. Dorosz, "Spectroscopic properties of Yb3+/Er3+ - doped antimony-phosphate glasses for fiber amplifiers", Phot. Lett. Poland 2, 76 (2010). CrossRef
- H. Lin, E.Y.B. Pun, B.J. Chen, Y.Y. Zhang, "Rare-earth ion doped lead- and cadmium-free bismuthate glasses", J. Appl. Phys. 103, 056103 (2008). CrossRef
- S.S. Bayya, G.D. Chin, J.S. Sanghera, I.D. Aggarwal, "Germanate glass as a window for high energy laser systems", Opt. Express 14, 11687 (2006). CrossRef
- J.M. Jewell, P.L. Higby, I.D. Aggarwal, "Properties of BaO–R2O3– Ga2O3–GeO2 (R = Y, Al, La, and Gd) Glasses", J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 77, 697 (1994). CrossRef
- R.R. Xu, Y. Tian, M. Wang, L.L. Hu, J.J. Zhang, "Spectroscopic properties of 1.8 μm emission of thulium ions in germanate glass", Appl. Phys. B 102, 109 (2011). CrossRef
- R. Xu, Y. Tian, L. Hu, J. Zhang, "Broadband 2 μm emission and energy-transfer properties of thulium-doped oxyfluoride germanate glass fiber", Appl. Phys. B 104, 839 (2011). CrossRef
- V.K. Tikhomirov, S.A. Tikhomirova, "Hypersensitive transition 3P0 → 3F2 of Pr3+ related to the polarizability and structure of glass host", J. Non-Cryst. Solids 274, 50 (2000). CrossRef
- R. Balda, A. Oleaga, J. Fernandez, J.M. Fdez-Navarro, "Spectroscopy and frequency upconversion of Er3+ ions in lead niobium germanate glasses", Opt. Mater. 24, 83 (2003). CrossRef
- H. Yamauchi, Y. Ohishi, "Spectroscopic properties of Er3+-doped PbO–Ga2O3–GeO2 glass for optical amplifiers", Opt. Mater. 27, 679 (2005). CrossRef
- W.A. Pisarski, Ł. Grobelny, J. Pisarska, R. Lisiecki, and W. Ryba-Romanowski, "Spectroscopic properties of Yb3+ and Er3+ ions in heavy metal glasses", J. Alloys Compd. 509, 8088 (2011). CrossRef
How to Cite
J. Janek, J. Pisarska, and W. Pisarski, “Rare earth doped lead-free germanate glasses for modern photonics”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 6, no. 2, pp. pp. 71–73, Jun. 2014.