Multicore optical fibres for next generation telecommunication transmission systems and components
AbstractWe report on a new type of multicore fibres dedicated to a new generation of telecommunication networks. We designed and fabricated seven core fibres for (i) passive signal transmission, (ii) signal amplification and (iii) 1×7 signal division. In each case, the same cores and air-holes arrangement is used. However different operation is achieved by employing different cores doping and varying structural parameters of fibre, such as air-holes and cores diameters. We present experimental results of measurements performed for developed multicore fibres and multicore fibre components.
Full Text: PDF
- D.J. Richardson, J.M. Fini, L.E. Nelson, "Space-division multiplexing in optical fibres", Nat. Photonics 7, 354 (2013). CrossRef
- R.G.H. van Uden et al., "Ultra-high-density spatial division multiplexing with a few-mode multicore fibre", Nat. Photonics 8, 865 (2014). CrossRef
- H. Takara et al., "1.01-Pb/s (12 SDM/222 WDM/456 Gb/s) Crosstalk-managed Transmission with 91.4-b/s/Hz Aggregate Spectral Efficiency", ECOC Tech. Dig. 3, paper Th.3.C.1. (2012). CrossRef
- H. Takara et al., "1000-km 7-core fiber transmission of 10 x 96-Gb/s PDM-16QAM using Raman amplification with 6.5 W per fiber", Opt. Expr. 20, 10100 (2012). CrossRef
- M. Koshiba, K. Saitoh, Y. Kokubun, "Heterogeneous multi-core fibers: proposal and design principle", IEICE Electron. Expr. 6, 98 (2009). CrossRef
- Y. Kokubun, T. Watanabe, "Dense heterogeneous uncoupled multi-core fiber using 9 types of cores with double cladding structure", 17th Microoptics Conference, Sendai, (2011). DirectLink
- J. Tu et al., "Optimized Design Method for Bend-Insensitive Heterogeneous Trench-Assisted Multi-Core Fiber With Ultra-Low Crosstalk and High Core Density", J. Light. Technol. 31, 2590 (2013). CrossRef
- B. Yao et al., "Reduction of Crosstalk by Hole-Walled Multi-Core Fibers", Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition (OFC/NFOEC) OFC, Los Angeles (2012). CrossRef
- K. Imamura et al., "Multi-core holey fibers for ultra large capacity wide-band transmission", 34th European Conference on Optical Communication (2008). CrossRef
- K. Saitoh, Y. Tsuchida, M. Koshiba, "Bending-insensitive single-mode hole-assisted fibers with reduced splice loss", Opt. Lett. 30, 1779 (2005). CrossRef
- A. Ziolowicz et al., "Hole-assisted multicore optical fiber for next generation telecom transmission systems", Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 081106 (2014). CrossRef
How to Cite
M. Napierała, “Multicore optical fibres for next generation telecommunication transmission systems and components”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 7, no. 3, pp. pp. 66–68, Sep. 2015.