Modeling of molecular reorientation in nematic liquid crystals
AbstractIn this paper modeling of molecular reorientation in nematic liquid crystals is described. The theoretical model bases on Frank-Oseen elastic theory. By minimizing the equation on free energy the equation describing molecular reorientation is obtained. To get a solution two numerical methods (Successive Over-Relaxation and multigrid) are employed and are compared for numerical results of director orientation and computation time.
Full Text: PDF
- G. Assanto, M.A. Karpierz, "Nematicons: self-localised beams in nematic liquid crystals", Liq. Cryst. 36, 1161 (2009). CrossRef
- G.D. Ziogos, E.E. Kriezis, "Modeling light propagation in liquid crystal devices with a 3-D full-vector finite-element beam propagation method", Opt. Quant. Electron. 40, 10 (2008). CrossRef
- M. Kwaśny, U.A. Laudyn, F.A. Sala, A. Alberucci, M.A. Karpierz, G. Assanto, "Self-guided beams in low-birefringence nematic liquid crystals", Phys. Rev. A 86, 013824 (2012). CrossRef
- M.A. Karpierz, "Solitary waves in liquid crystalline waveguides", Phys. Rev. E 66, 036603 (2002). CrossRef
- A. Walczak, "Soliton like solutions and subsurface behaviour of the nematic layer", Proc. SPIE 4759, 327 (2002). CrossRef
- F.A. Sala, M.A. Karpierz, "Chiral and nonchiral nematic liquid-crystal reorientation induced by inhomogeneous electric fields", J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 29, 1465 (2012). CrossRef
- F.A. Sala, M.A. Karpierz, "Modeling of molecular reorientation and beam propagation in chiral and non-chiral nematic liquid crystals", Opt. Express 20, 13923 (2012). CrossRef
- D.M. Young, Iterativemethods for solving partial difference equations of elliptical type, Ph.D. thesis (Harvard University, 1950).
- D. Kincaid, W. Cheney, Numerical Analysis: Mathematics of Scientific Computing (American Mathematical Society, 2002).
- W.L. Briggs, V.E. Henson, S.F. McCormick, A Multigrid Tutorial (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2000).
- A. Brandt, O. Livne, Multigrid Techniques (Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2011).
How to Cite
Sala, F., Bujok, M., & Karpierz, M. (2016). Modeling of molecular reorientation in nematic liquid crystals. Photonics Letters of Poland, 8(1), pp. 8–10. https://doi.org/10.4302/photon. lett. pl.v8i1.625