Q-switched Erbium-doped Fiber Laser with a Black Phosphorus Saturable Absorber
AbstractA passively Q-switched Erbium-doped fiber laser (EDFL) is demonstrated using a black phosphorus saturable absorber as the Q-switcher. The laser generates a stable pulse operating at a wavelength of 1562.35 nm within a pump power region from 7.2 mW to 42.3 mW. At 980 nm pump power of 42.3 mW, the EDFL generates an optical pulse train with a repetition rate of 44.72 kHz and pulse width of 9.8 us. The maximum pulse energy of 81.5 nJ is obtained at a pump power of 35.2 mW. A higher performance Q-switched EDFL is expected to be achieved with the optimization of the saturable absorber and laser cavity.
Full Text: PDF
- R. Mas-Balleste, C. Gomez-Navarro, J. Gomez-Herrero and F. Zamora, "2D materials: to graphene and beyond", Nanoscale 3, 20 (2011). CrossRef
- Z. Sun, T. Hasan, F. Torrisi, D. Popa, G. Privitera, F. Wang, F. Bonaccorso, D. M. Basko and A. C. Ferrari, "Graphene Mode-Locked Ultrafast Laser", ACS nano 4, 803 (2010) CrossRef
- F. Xia, H. Wang and Y. Jia, "Rediscovering black phosphorus as an anisotropic layered material for optoelectronics and electronics.", Nat Commun 5 (2014). CrossRef
- G. Sobon, "Mode-locking of fiber lasers using novel two-dimensional nanomaterials: graphene and topological insulators [Invited]", Photonics Research 3, A56 (2015). CrossRef
- Y. Chen, G. Jiang, S. Chen, Z. Guo, X. Yu, C. Zhao, H. Zhang, Q. Bao, S. Wen and D. Tang, "Mechanically exfoliated black phosphorus as a new saturable absorber for both Q-switching and Mode-locking laser operation", Optics express 23, 12823 (2015). CrossRef
- M. Hisyam, M. Rusdi, A. Latiff and S. Harun, "Generation of Mode-Locked Ytterbium Doped Fiber Ring Laser Using Few-Layer Black Phosphorus as a Saturable Absorber", IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 23, 39 (2017). CrossRef
- S. Sugai and I. Shirotani, "Raman and infrared reflection spectroscopy in black phosphorus", Solid state communications 53, 753 (1985). CrossRef
- Z.-C. Luo, M. Liu, Z.-N. Guo, X.-F. Jiang, A.-P. Luo, C.-J. Zhao, X.-F. Yu, W.-C. Xu and H. Zhang, "Microfiber-based few-layer black phosphorus saturable absorber for ultra-fast fiber laser", Optics express 23, 20030 (2015). CrossRef
- A. Latiff, M. Rusdi, M. Hisyam, H. Ahmad and S. Harun, "A generation of 2 um Q-switched thulium-doped fibre laser based on anatase titanium(IV) oxide film saturable absorber", Journal of Modern Optics 64, 187 (2017). CrossRef
- J. Bogusławski, G. Soboń, K. Tarnowski, R. Zybała, K. Mars, A. Mikuła, K. M. Abramski and J. Sotor, "All-polarization-maintaining-fiber laser Q-switched by evanescent field interaction with Sb2Te3 saturable absorber", Optical Engineering 55, 081316 (2016). CrossRef
- Z. Wang, Y. Xu, S. C. Dhanabalan, J. Sophia, C. Zhao, C. Xu, Y. Xiang, J. Li, and H. Zhang, "Black Phosphorus Quantum Dots as an Efficient Saturable Absorber for Bound Soliton Operation in an Erbium Doped Fiber Laser," IEEE Photonics Journal 8, 1 (2016). CrossRef
How to Cite
N. N. Razak, A. Abdul Latiff, Z. Zakaria, and S. W. Harun, “Q-switched Erbium-doped Fiber Laser with a Black Phosphorus Saturable Absorber”, Photonics Lett. Pol., vol. 9, no. 2, pp. pp. 72–74, Jul. 2017.